It’s the night before a big trip, and you’re on iTunes scouring the charts for worthy music, or feverishly loading songs onto your iPod by the tens. Don’t lie, we all do it.
The thought of spending the next eight hours in the sky may be daunting for some people, but having a good music library is crucial to making the time fly (no pun intended). We took some time and made some recommendations, and even tapped Jen Pollack Bianco, writer of the blog My Life’s a Trip to share her recommendations. So here it is. In no particular order, here’s some musical inspiration for your next journey.
Taylor’s Travel Favorites
- Let The World Hurry By by Pretty Lights (see below)
- Doin’ Time by Sublime
- Wild Ones ft. Sia by Flo Rida
- Around the World by The Red Hot Chili Peppers
- Just Can’t Get Enough by The Black Eyed Peas
- Glow by Madcon
- Miracle Drug by U2
- Frank, AB by the Rural Alberta Advantage
- For Bella by Little Bird (see below)
JBP’s Australia Travel Playlist
- Whatever It Is by Ben Lee
- Don’t Change by The Audreys, an indie cover of INXS
- Can’t Stop by The Red Hot Chili Peppers
- Shadow Dancing by Andy Gibb
- Disappear by INXS
- Once in a Lifetime and This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody) by Talking Heads
- Going Back to Cali by LL Cool J
- These Days by the Foo Fighters (I’m even in the video … sort of! Saw their show at Sydney Stadium … shot on their Australia / New Zealand tour).
- Fly Away (B-Side Acoustic Version) by Lenny Kravitz
Artists Worth Checking Out
For those of you techno fans, it’s pretty much a no-brainer for us. If you’re not listening to Pretty Lights or Paper Diamond, something is seriously wrong. Pretty Lights focuses mainly on creating excellent beats with the occasional soulful-sounding man/woman (but more synthesized voice than Aretha Franklin), while Paper Diamond is pretty much beats-only.
And entire discographies are free on their respective websites, so basically you have no excuse to not download their music.
For those of you unfamiliar with the music of Little Bird, you’re really missing out on good stuff. Little Bird (a.k.a. Jay Hurtt) is a creative genius, and his combination of covers/original work strikes the perfect balance. He can even pull off an acoustic cover of Kanye West’s “Gold Digger,” not to mention his tribute to the late Amy Winehouse, “Constellations” and his Adele / Foster the People “Someone with Pumped Up Kicks.”
Photos by Taylor Michie for The Racing Winds Blog.